Rostov takes one of the most important places in the Golden Ring of Russia. In spite of its old age – over 1000 years, this city remains interesting for the tourists thanks to its rich history and unique monuments of architectural and cultural heritage.Read more
One of the oldest and the most beautiful Russian cities on the Volga river - Yaroslavl celebrates its millennium in 2010. The opinions of historians about the date of its foundation are different, but 1010 is considered to be the most correct. The city always played an important part in the history of Russia.Read more
It had been known until quite recently under the name of Zagorsk. Sergiev Posad enters the number of towns, which enters the so called Golden Ring of Russia. It attracts many tourists because this is one of a few Russian cities full of ancient monuments.Read more
Ivanovo does not have ancient historical traditions as many other towns of the Golden Ring, but you can give it a status of textile industry centre of Russia without hesitation. This settlement is mentioned first in the ecclesiastical letter missive of Ivan Kalita in 1328, where it was named village Ivan. It was most probably called so after the clock-tower of John the Forerunner, which appeared in the collage at that period. The next mention dates back to the 1561, when the village was the property of princes Cherkassky and Shuisky.
From the 17th century Ivanovo was known for its cloth manufacture, and a century later the professional cloth manufactories were created here. Czar Peter the Great appreciated the products of Ivanovo masters highly. He invited masters from Holland to organize textile manufacture. The local products become popular not only in Russia, but abroad as well. It was exported to England and brought good profit to the owner of Ivanovo lands Earl (Count) Sheremetiev. This way the centre of cotton industry famous all over the world was formed in Russia.
By the 19th century Ivanovo has already about 100 manufactures. The steam machine is even tested on one of them and that says about the high level of the production organization. On the order of Emperor Alexander II Ivanovo is united in 1871 with Vosnesensky suburb, which appeared not far from it. It gets the status of town of Shuisky district and is renamed into Ivanovo-Vosnesensk. By this moment the town has about 50 plants and factories, 256 buildings of stone, 8 churches and almost 11 thousand people living in it. Ivanovo manufactories mastered mechanic cloth printing and in 1838 the first in the city cotton mill started its work.
In 1932 the Ivanovskaya area is formed and the town becomes its centre. The grand work is organized here which is aimed at turning the town into big industrial and cultural centre. Multiple factories and plants were built and renovated in the course of the following 20 years. Today Ivanovo is a big industrial centre of modern Russia with 47 thousand people working at its enterprises.
There are about 400 historical and architectural monuments built on the territory of the city. They are guarded by the state. The monuments reflect the main stages of the formation of the city – from small fortress village to big industrial centre. The city is interesting by its history of capitalism development and tourists visit museums and exhibitions devoted to the geography and culture of manufactories capital with great pleasure.
Being the biggest regional museum of Russia this is a visiting card of Ivanovo. The museum was created on the basis of collections, gathered by famous Ivanovo sponsor Burylin. The exposition expanded and now it includes many thematic exhibitions, which are located not only under the roof of the museum building. The guests are particularly interested in the composition of Ivanovo cotton that does not tell only about the history of invention of textile fabrics, but demonstrates unique homespun of the previous centuries. The museum of industry and art, which belongs to Historical and Geographical Museum as well, presents the collection of weapons from different countries, military armor, works of precious metals. The art exposition is collected here that consists of portraits, sculptures, and articles of decorative and applied arts, made by Ivanovo masters.
It is open from 1960 and the basis of its collection consists of works from private collections, which belonged to the sponsor Burylin, the general Ruzsky and factories owners Karetnikovs. The collection is considered to be one of the biggest among the similar collections of provincial museums. It includes exhibits of graphic, sculpture, art and applied arts of various peoples of times.
The monastery was founded at Saint Vvedensky church in 1991 on private donations of local people. There are three temples now on the territory of the monastery now in addition to one church and three houses. The remains of Saint Aleksy Eliatsky and the Prelate Vasily Kineshemsky repose in the monastery church.
It was built on the place of the old graveyard church in 1998. The graveyard was destroyed in the Soviet years and the amusement park was created at its place, which received the name between people “the park of live and dead”. The land was returned to the church in 1995 and the reconstruction of the cloister started at that time. The members of the Romanovs’ family are honored especially there as they were added on to the saints by the Orthodox Church.
The main construction of the church has remained since the 17th century. It reminds ordinary house with Altar, vestibule, and roof which is covered with tiles. The bell-tower was added to it in 1905, which is a bit different from the church in style, though it looks good beside the church.
The nature in Ivanovo district is amazing and it is worth paying attention to it. Thick pine tree and fir tree forests, aspen and birch tree groves, and oak groves along the Klyazma river make Ivanovo an excellent place for rest. There are a lot of rivers, small and big lakes on the south east of the area. this is a paradise for lovers of clean air, hunting and fishing.