Rostov takes one of the most important places in the Golden Ring of Russia. In spite of its old age – over 1000 years, this city remains interesting for the tourists thanks to its rich history and unique monuments of architectural and cultural heritage.Read more
One of the oldest and the most beautiful Russian cities on the Volga river - Yaroslavl celebrates its millennium in 2010. The opinions of historians about the date of its foundation are different, but 1010 is considered to be the most correct. The city always played an important part in the history of Russia.Read more
It had been known until quite recently under the name of Zagorsk. Sergiev Posad enters the number of towns, which enters the so called Golden Ring of Russia. It attracts many tourists because this is one of a few Russian cities full of ancient monuments.Read more
Old Russian city Uglich in Yaroslavl region had its millennium long ago. It is considered that the city was founded in 937, when the relative of princess Olga Yan Pleskovitich founded “Uglich field” on the bank of the Volga river at the place where the river turns, making an angle this way. So the name of the city came from this. The first mention of the place date back to the 1148, and in 1218 the city becomes the centre of Uglich princedom. During its history Uglich had many troubles – attacks of enemies, destruction and fires. The city was destroyed, plundered and fired for the first time in 1238 by Mongol-Tatars and suffered many times from fights between princes. Joining Moscow princedom in the first part of the 14th century, Uglich becomes the cornerstone between Moscow and Tver princes. This way in 1371 Tver troops plundered the city even more than Mongol Tatars did, destroyed and burnt it.
Uglich is closely connected with the events of Russian history and it especially refers to the events of the Times of Troubles (period in the 16th century). One can say that the history of Troubles started in Uglich from the murder of 8-year-old prince Dmitry - the son of Ivan the Terrible (Russian tsar). It happened in 1591. The riot that followed and its suppression gave way to the Times of Troubles, the epoch of fights, impostors and attacks of Polish-Lithuanian invaders. Uglich was destroyed and burnt during the attack of 1608 -1612. The last point of resistance of the citizens was Alekseevsky monastery was conquered in 1609 and nobody from five thousand people, who protected it, survived.
At the end of the 17th century Church of St Dmitry on the Blood was erected at the place of prince’s murder. This is the most famous church of Uglich. The stretcher, which was used to carry the remains of Dmitry to Moscow, is still kept in the church. The church is located on the territory of Uglich Kremlin. The Kremlin itself – the walls and towers – did not remain, but some buildings in the inner yard are still there. The oldest building in the Kremlin is a 2-storey buildings of Uglich princes, date back to the 1480. This is one of the oldest buildings not only in Uglich, but in Russia as well, which remained until now. There are also Savior-Transfiguration (1713) and Epiphany (1827) churches on the territory of the Kremlin.
Apart from the Alekseevsky monastery, founded in 1371, Resurrection monastery is famous in Uglich together with the stone buildings constructed in the 17th century, Epiphany Monastery and Nikolo-Uleiminsky monastery. The exact foundation data of the last two are not known. It is considered that Epiphany monastery was founded at the end of the 15th century and in the second half of the 17th century the monastery was built anew of stone on a new place. The foundation of Nikolo-Uleiminsky monastery date back to the beginning of the 15th century and his first buildings of stone - to the beginning of the 15th century. This is one of the oldest Russian monasteries, which was not changed and remained the way it was then.
The famous church of John the Forefunner with 5 domes (1681) belongs to the Alekseevsky monastery. It is located not far from Assumption church that was built in 1628. One old monastery existed in Uglich until the 20th century – the Intercession Monastery, which was built when Prince Andrey Bolshoy ruled there. Monastery did not survive in the Soviet times and was flooded when Uglich water reserve was filled in 1939. Water reserve was created to provide work of Uglich hydropower station, one of the oldest in Russia. It started its work in 1940.
In spite of its small size, the city is full of historical and architectural monuments and you will have to spend the whole week to get a glimpse of them all only. There are over 10 museums in the city – History and Art Museum, the Museum of City Life, Dolls Museum, Prison Museum, etc. several museums are located in the Uspenskaya square (Trade) near the Kremlin and is surrounded by the two-storey buildings built about 2 centuries ago. The bridge goes to the Kremlin from the square and the Kremlin itself with its buildings sink in the green trees.
Not long ago the Patriarch of All Russia Kirill supported the idea of granting the status of Children Orthodox Centre because there is every reason for it. Taking into account the history of the city and rich creative and spiritual potential of Uglich citizens, numerous children educational and cultural upbringing institutions, this is only natural.
In this respect it is worth reading the article of 1907 in the newspaper: “Yaroslav province is the first in our empire on national education and Uglich district is the first from this province.”
Amazing scenes to the Volga river, the nature of Uglich add the general impression of this old city, one of the most important ones in Russian history.